Guillermo del Toro’s strength is his atmospheres. Imagery and Michael Shannon’s acting are where my excitement for The Shape of Water ends. Perhaps the hype for this particular film was overblown because it was quite underwhelming. We basically got a regurgitation of the conventional outsider + outsider fall in love plot. Yawn.
For a film steeped in water symbolism and metaphors, a salty dog cocktail is a great companion. It pairs perfectly with how salty you’ll be that you spent over two hours watching an overly predictable film. Additionally, you too can feel the sting Hoffstetler suffered through while having his wounds pushed in salt. The vodka in this cocktail pairs well with the Russian conspiracy to kill Elisa’s beloved creature. I’d recommend making more than one to make it through The Shape of Water.
The Salty Dog Cocktail
- 2 oz. vodka
- Splash of grapefruit juice
- 1/2 can grapefruit seltzer water
- Rim your glass with salt and fill with ice.
- Pour vodka, grapefruit juice, and ice in a shaker, shake, and strain into glass.*
- Add seltzer water and splash a lime wedge over the top.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
*If you don’t have a shaker, simply stir the ingredients together, it will still be tasty and refreshing!