Netflix continues to up its production game with The Haunting of Hill House. If you’re looking for a spooky show based in terror, with a strong dramatic narrative, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better alternative.
Well-developed, broken characters compliment a script that ties up its loose ends, which done well is a rarity in the horror genre. The show’s iconic Bent-Neck Lady threads together the past, present, and future, and so we look to her for tonight’s cocktail: Bent-Neck Lady Tea.
Bent-Neck Lady Tea
The red hue of this cocktail pays homage to the infamous red room, where the majority of the heart-wrenching climax occurs.
The rose-based tea nods to Olivia’s memory of passing a house doused in lush roses, which led to her infatuation with homes, and subsequently to the Crain’s taking up residence at Hill House. Olivia also has an affinity for tea, the perfect sipping companion for an autumn evening spent Netflix binging.
Finally, many of the Crains choose whiskey as their preferred liquid to cope with death. Let’s not mess with family tradition, especially the Crazy Crains.
- rose tea
- 1/4 lemon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1.5 oz whiskey
- dash, ground cardamon [optional]
- Brew tea according to the maker’s instructions. Both Yogi Tea and Numi Tea have rose varieties that are available in most supermarkets. You can make homemade rose tea by boiling rose petals.
- Cut lemon into fourths and give one of those bad boys a squeeze into the tea mixture.
- Add 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and one shot of whiskey, then swirl the mixture around until incorporated.
- Sprinkle a dash of ground cardamom on top.
- Toast to the ghosts!